Monday, March 5, 2018

I Was Asked Where I'm From The Other Day -Hamzeh



Where do you come from?
A question I think of when I want to fathom my own sense of belonging 

As I stand here I blink every now and then to give my cuticles the decency of re-hydrating while my throat goes dry thinking of such a question

I was born in a hospital in the capital of a small country in the middle east called Jordan. 

Wait that means I’m from Jordan, doesn’t it? 

What’s your heritage? 

My family originates from a small town called Yafa in Palestine. 

Pause.

Wait ... that means I’m from Palestine, doesn’t it? 

You mean Israel… don't you? 

Heavily breathing

Do I? 

Nostrils narrowing

Where do I come from? 

I blink now and with every blink I see my grandfather.

Blink. 
Grandfather, where do you come from? 

Blink. 
Palestine, my boy. 

Blink. 
Why aren’t you there now? 

Blink. 
I am not allowed my boy. 

Blink. 
Why? 

Blink. 
Because … 

Blink. 
Pure silence.

I was 8 when I realized a person could answer the question: “where do you come from?” With silence. 

The other day my friend asked me:
Where are you from? 

I answered ...

No comments:

Post a Comment